There are several reasons why you may not be able to connect to the POP3 server, and thus, not be able to check your POP3 account(s) for new messages. Use the following guideline to solve this sort of problem:
1. Make sure you first have a connection to the Internet. Verify this by visiting a website.
2. Make sure your e-mail client is configured properly. This does not apply if you have checked for new e-mail before and have not changed your configurations since.
3. Have you successfully connected to the POP3 server from this location before? In other words, are you trying to connect to the POP3 server for the first time or from a new location for the first time?
4. Verify that you are not behind a firewall! If you are at work, this should be your first clue.
5. If you find that you are behind a firewall, verify with the network administrator that port
6. 110 is allowed. If it is not, this is the reason you cannot connect to the POP3 server
Call your ISP or whoever is providing you the connection to the Internet and verify that port 110 (POP3) is not denied. If it is, this is the reason you cannot connect to the POP3 server
Finally, log into your Control Panel, and click the server name where your domain is hosted. Verify that POP3 service is not currently unavailable.
If you get this far and are still unable to connect, try to connect to another POP3 server that you may access to, such as your ISPs POP3 server. At this point, the problem is most likley on the client side.
Did you find this article useful?